Park Near Georgia Avenue Closes for Renovation
The renovations will include basketball courts, playground equipment and rain gardens.
Evans Parkway Neighborhood Park in Wheaton closed last week for long-term renovation work.
When construction ends in what Montgomery Parks anticipates will be spring 2014, the five-acre park just north of Dennis Avenue will have gained 2.46 acres, connecting the park to the east side of Georgia Avenue.
The renovated park will also have the following features, according to a statement by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission:
- Two half-court basketball courts
- Parallel parking spaces
- New playground equipment
- A natural stream and wider flood plain to replace a concrete lined channel
- A new boardwalk, bridge and paved pedestrian loop trails
- Interpretive signs
- A park gazebo with seating
- Updated landscaping and new rain gardens
Until construction ends, the park will be closed to the public for safety reasons.
See the Montgomery Parks website for more information.