Are you buying a Christmas tree this holiday season?
The National Christmas Tree Association wants customers to keep a few safety tips in mind when they purchase their tree. Consumers also need to know how to care for it once it's in their home.
- Select a tree in good condition.
- Make a fresh cut on the trunk and place in water within 6-8 hours.
- If necessary to store temporarily, store in water in a cool location.
- Display indoors in a stand adequate to hold the tree securely and provide an adequate water capacity – at least one quart for each inch of stem diameter.
- Check the water level daily and replenish as needed to maintain the water level above the bottom of the tree trunk.
- Display tree away from heat sources that may cause tree to dry.
- Use only listed lights that produce low heat.
- Inspect lights before using and replace if wiring is worn or frayed.
- Do not overload electrical circuits.
- Monitor tree for freshness. If it becomes dry, remove it from home immediately and dispose of properly.