Knights Boys Advance On Last Second Heroics

Wheaton's boys basketball team pulls off a last second upset of Winters Mill in the first round of high school playoffs.

Much of the game wasn't pretty.  But you don't get style points.  It was certainly a game that ended in dramatic fashion.  The Wheaton High School boys basketball team (10-13) moves on to the second round of the playoffs with a 40-39 victory over visiting Winters Mill High School (11-8).   

The Knights started cold, not hitting their first shot until more than 2 minutes into the game.  Once they did they were on a brief 10-2 run.  It didn't last long as mistakes caught up to them and so did the Falcons.  By the end of the 1st period it was 12-8 and then shortly into the 2nd period the Knights were down 14-12. 

The Falcons took advantage of the Knights missed shots and kept the lead for most of the game with Wheaton playing "catch up" the rest of the night.  Wheaton was more suited to driving the basket while Winters Mill was comfortable with hitting the outside shots.  The Falcons went into the break with a 25-20 lead.  In the second half Wheaton began to settle down while slowing the game down with more patient set ups.  Wheaton Senior Forward Ayinde Warren had one of his better scoring performances this season (8 points) getting most of his opportunities off rebounds down low. 

As the game began to wind down the Knights closed the gap to within 4 points with just over 3 minutes left in the game.  The Knights leading scorer on the night, Junior Guard Ibrahim Kallon (10 points), got a breakaway layup to close the game, 37-35.  Both defenses began to press and points wouldn't be coming easy.  Tyron White (7 points) was off his 15 ppg for the season but what he did hit were big.  The Knights got a little help from the Falcons when they needed it.  White was fouled and hit both free throws to tie the game 37-37 with only 22 seconds on the clock.  Winters Mill came right back and was fouled with 13 seconds left.  Both free throws went in putting the Falcons back up 39-37.  From the inbound, the Knights drove down the court and Tyron White got the ball at the top of the key with 5 seconds left.  After a move to his left, he pulled up right taking a 3 point jumper with 1 second left.  The basket was good and the Wheaton High School stands emptied onto the court. 

The victory was only the Knights second win in all of February out of 7 games.  Wheaton next faces Poolesville on the Falcons court, for the second round of playoffs, Thursday, Feb 28th at 7pm.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something