The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars posts in Wheaton will be participating in their annual Veterans Day ceremony at the Wheaton Veterans Park. The ceremony begins at 11:11 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 11.
See photos from the 2011 Veterans Day ceremony.
Wheaton Ice Arena is offering free skating and skate rentals for all military personnel (veterans and those on active duty) and their families on Sunday, Nov. 11, from 11 a.m.-12:45 p.m. and 2:45-4:45 p.m.
What's Open in Wheaton:
- Wheaton Indoor Tennis at Wheaton Regional Park: Open 8:00 am – 11:00 pm.
- The grounds at Brookside Gardens will be open from sunrise to sunset
What's Closed in Wheaton:
- Wheaton Library will be closed Sunday, Nov. 11, and Monday, Nov. 12.
- Brookside Gardens Visitors Center and Conservatory will be closed Nov. 11
Read more about which county services will be available on Veterans Day.
Learn more about the history of Veterans Day and how Nov. 11 came to be the day on which the country recognizes veterans each year.
On Saturday, the DC Mayor’s Office of Veterans Affairs, together with the VA Medical Center and a collaborative of Greater Washington Veterans organizations, are presenting an afternoon of opportunity, counseling and networking. Veterans can learn about employment opportunities, VA benefits, available healthcare options and more at this free event at the Hilton Garden Inn at 815 14th Street, NW, in Washington, DC. Registration is required.
Montgomery County’s public cable television stations on Sunday, Nov. 11, and Monday, Nov. 12, will broadcast a 13-hour marathon tribute to veterans. The tribute will include the first-ever broadcast of extended interviews with 14 local veterans from World War II. County Cable Montgomery (Channel 6 on Comcast and RCN, Channel 30 on Verizon) will begin broadcasting the tribute each day at 9:30 a.m. and continue to 10:30 p.m. each day.
Here is the list of the local veterans and where they are from, according to information provided by the county:
- John Henry Chaney - Boyds, MD
- Pierre Causa - Olney, MD
- Sam Einbinder - Leisure World
- Milton Eisen - Leisure World
- Paul Forbes - Riderwood, Silver Spring
- Albert Frumkin - Leisure World
- Norman Ikari - Asbury Methodist, Gaithersburg
- William Iwanicki - Leisure Word
- Charles McGee - Bethesda
- Donald McKee - Silver Spring
- Edwin Morgenstern - Leisure World
- Seymour Steinberg - Leisure World
- Boris Osheroff - Leisure World
- Demitri Paris - Aspen Hill
Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks!