If you're looking for a Christmas tree, you don't have to travel far from home to find one. We've already done the legwork of finding the tree lots and comparing prices.
1. Maxsell's Christmas Trees, located at the corner of Georgia Avenue and Evans Drive, sells Douglas firs ($35), Fraser firs ($50-120) and Virginia pines ($45-70). A Douglas fir taller than 7 feet sells for $45.
The Douglas firs come from Pennsylvania, and the Fraser firs and Virginia pines come from North Carolina.
Maxsell’s currently offers plain wreaths for $15-20, but decorated wreaths, made by the owner’s wife, should be coming in later this week.
Maxsell’s is open from 10am-10pm Sunday-Thursday, 10am-midnight Friday-Saturday.
2. Across Georgia Avenue from Maxsell’s is another tree lot, which prices its trees by the foot, ranging from $5-10 per foot. Dave Douglas said that the most popular tree sold there is the Fraser fir.
In addition to the Fraser, the tree lot also sells blue spruce, white pine, Scotch pine and table-top trees--which are trees of all variety that are under 4 feet tall. Coming soon are the balsam and Canadian balsam. The majority of the trees come from North Carolina and Pennsylvania.
The hours are 9am-9pm every day.
3. In the patch of grass across from the on Reedie Drive, the has set up a fenced-in area for its major fundraising event of the year: the Christmas tree sale. The rescue squad sells blue spruces from Canada. Color-coding helps customers find their trees. Prices correlate to height, from $15 for tabletop trees to $95 for 9-foot trees.
The hours are Monday-Friday 4pm-9:30pm, and Saturday-Sunday 10am-9:30pm.
4. Out in front of the , next to the Shoppers grocery store at the corner of Randolph Road and Georgia Avenue, each tree is marked with its price. They range from a low of $39 for a Douglas to a high of $79 for a Fraser. The Douglas and Fraser firs come from North Carolina. Matt Swasinger, who runs the lot, said that there will be white and Scotch pines by the weekend.
The hours are Mon - Sat, 7am - 8pm; Sun, 7am - 6pm.
Thanks to a commenter, we have an additional location:
5. Boy Scout Troop 466 will once again sell Christmas trees at the St. John the Evangelist Church parking lot (10103 Georgia Ave., near Medical Park Drive). The troop has been doing this for over 45 years. For sale: Douglas and Fraser firs, as well as wreaths.
The hours are 10am - 9pm Saturday and Sunday; 5pm to 9pm Monday through Friday.