A Germantown man suspected of 10 commercial robberies and two street robberies in Montgomery County — including five in the Wheaton and Glenmont areas — was arrested during a traffic stop in Gaithersburg Feb. 17, Montgomery County police announced Wednesday.
Duane James, 52, of the 18600 block of Mustard Seed Court, was charged with two counts of armed robbery, having a handgun in a vehicle and the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, police said. After his arrest, James was charged with nine additional armed robbery charges and three first-degree assault charges.
The string of robberies occurred throughout the county between Dec. 27 and Feb. 17, police said.
James was arrested after reports of two armed robberies committed minutes apart on Feb. 17 in Gaithersburg, police said. Officers responded to calls at 9:23 p.m. at the Chinese Express, at 849 Russell Ave., and at 9:27 p.m. at Exxon, at 24A Montgomery Village Ave.
In both incidents, police said James entered the location, displayed a handgun and demanded money.
Police said James was also responsible for the following commercial robberies:
- Dec. 27: Tienda Sula Musica, at 11409 Georgia Ave. in Wheaton.
- Jan. 21: Gold Spot, at 11935 Georgia Ave. in Glenmont.
- Jan. 29: AT&T Unique Mobile, at 13880 Georgia Ave. in Wheaton.
- Feb. 2: Liberty gas station at 623 South Frederick Ave. in Gaithersburg.
- Feb. 5: Shell gas station, at 260 N. Washington St. in Rockville.
- Feb. 8: Wheaton Deli, at 11413 Georgia Ave. in Wheaton.
- Feb. 10: Shell gas station, at 2240 Veirs Mill Road in Rockville.
- Feb. 12: Bel Pre Beer and Wine, at 2251 Bel Pre Road in Aspen Hill.
James, currently being held without bond, also was charged with armed street robbery for incidents on Jan. 13 at the Glenmont Metro Station and Feb. 10 at the Gaithersburg Square shopping center.
Crime Report: Robberies at Glenmont Metro Station
Laurel 18-Year-Old Charged in Wheaton Deli Armed Robbery
Glenmont Jewelry Store Robbed at Gunpoint