The Montgomery County Council will hold five public hearings in April on the county's operating budget for fiscal year 2014, which begins July 1.
County Executive Isiah Leggett's $4.8 billion budget proposal, which he unveiled on March 15, would add more than 100 new jobs in public safety and libraries.
Leggett also proposed a slight increase in aid for Montgomery County Public Schools to meet Maryland's maintenance of effort law, which requires that counties fund schools at the same level or greater from year-to-year or face a fine.
The County Council will analyze these recommendations and adopt the budget in late May.
Read more about the budget:
- Leggett Unveils a $4.8 Billion Montgomery County Budget Proposal (March 15, 2013)
- PATCH CLIPS: Leggett on FY2014 Budget Proposal (March 15, 2013)
- MCPS: Leggett Falls Short In Funding Schools (March 15, 2013)
The public hearings will be held in the Third Floor Hearing Room of the Council Office Building at 100 Maryland Ave. in Rockville, on the following dates:
- Tuesday, April 9, at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 10, at 1:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 10, at 7 p.m.
- Thursday, April 11, at 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 11, at 7 p.m.
More than 150 people are expected to testify, according to a statement from the county.
Comments at the public hearings can also be about the FY14 Capital Budget, the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission FY14-19 Capital Improvements Program and amendments to the FY13-18 County Capital Improvements Program.
How to Participate
The number of speaker spots available for the hearings is limited. To register to speak, call 240-777-7803.
- If you would like to testify at a hearing scheduled for 1:30 p.m., the deadline is 5 p.m. the day before the hearing.
- If you would like to testify at a hearing scheduled for 7:30 p.m., the deadline is 10 a.m. the day of the hearing.
Here are three other ways to comment on the budget:
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Send a letter to this address: County Council, 100 Maryland Avenue, Rockville MD 20850
- Call the County Council’s budget hotline at 240-777-7802
How to watch the hearings remotely:
The hearings will be televised live by County Cable Montgomery (CCM—Cable Channel 6 on Comcast and RCN, Channel 30 on Verizon) and also will be available via streaming through the County Web site at www.montgomerycountymd.gov.
What would you like to see included in the Montgomery County budget? Tell us in the comments.