Montgomery County will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month from now until Oct. 15 with musical and dance performances, bilingual storytime programs at public libraries, festivals, a health fair and more.
Latinos comprise 26 percent of the student population within Montgomery County Public Schools, Superintendent Joshua P. Starr noted in a memorandum to the county's Board of Education last week.
Here are some of the events scheduled for September and October:
- September 18, 7-9 PM, Internationally-acclaimed Honduran Violinist Angelo Rios. Veterans Plaza in Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Corner of Ellsworth Drive and Fenton St).
- Sept. 19, 7-9 PM, Drumming Circle Celebrating the Latin American "cajon" led by Mauricio Orduz. Veterans Plaza in Silver Spring, MD, 20910 (Corner of Ellsworth Drive and Fenton St).
- Sept. 20 - Oct. 16, "Uno, Dos, Tres con Andrés" (Andrés Salguero- Bilingual Program) and Bilingual Storytimes (Bilingual Programs for preschool ages) at various libraries throughout the county. Check the Montgomery County Public Libraries website for exact hours and library branch locations.
- Sept. 20 - Oct. 10, AFI Latin American Film Festival. Check AFI website for featured films.
- Sept. 21, 12:30-2 PM, "Latino Student Success at Community Colleges: Why It Matters," Lecture by Deborah Santiago, co-founder of Excelencia in Education, Theater Arts Arena, Montgomery College, 51 Mannakee St., Rockville, MD.
- Sept. 24-26, 9 AM-3:30 PM, "Many Backgrounds, Many Stories...One American Spirit" Latino Heritage, Museum Artifacts On Display at Montgomery College Campuses (Sept. 24 in Rockville: Theater Arts Arena, Sept. 25 in Germantown: Upper lobby of Globe Hall and HT 216, Sept. 26 in Takoma Park: ST Atrium).
- Sept. 27, 7-10 PM, Montgomery College's World Arts Festival and The Gathering's "Salsa Dance Party" with Latin band Sin Miedo, dance lessons & food, Theater Arts Arena, Montgomery College, 51 Mannakee St., Rockville, MD.
- Sept. 28, 6-10 PM, First Annual Montgomery County Hispanic Heritage Celebration Fashion Show and Awards Ceremony Silver Spring Civic Building, 1 Veterans Place, Silver Spring, MD.
- Sept. 29, 9:30 AM-1 PM, "Latinas Ayudando a Latinas en Sus Negocios (Latinas Helping Latinas in Business)", Montgomery College Silver Spring/Takoma Park Campus, Charlene R. Nunley Student Services Center, 7625 Fenton St., Takoma Park, MD..
- Oct. 1, 6-7:15 PM, The City of Gaithersburg's "Hispanic Americans: Diversity United, Building America's Future Today," Reception and Proclamation, Gallery at Gaithersburg City Hall, 31 South Summit Ave., Gaithersburg, MD.
- Oct. 2, 7-9: PM, Afro-Venezuelan carnival group Tambores de San Juan. Veterans Plaza in Silver Spring, MD. (Corner of Ellsworth Drive and Fenton St).
- Oct. 3, 8 PM, "Ballet Folklórico de México," Music Center at Strathmore, 5301 Tuckerman Lane, North Bethesda, MD.
- Oct. 6, 11 AM & 1 PM, Coral Cantigas' "Rhythm & Song: A Latin American Musical Journey ," 7995 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring, MD. 11 AM preshow introductory Afro-Puerto Rican dance workshop.
- Oct. 6, 1-3 PM, City of Rockville Hispanic Heritage Celebration, fun for the whole family with performances from Spain, Uruguay, Peru and more. Twinbrook Community Center, 12920 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, MD.
- Oct. 7, Noon-5 PM, Montgomery County's Latino Health Initiative "Ama Tu Vida/Love Your Life" Health Fair, Veterans Plaza in Silver Spring, MD. (Corner of Ellsworth Drive and Fenton St).
- Oct. 21, 12-5 PM, World of Montgomery Festival featuring four country tents including El Salvador and the Pupusa Cook-off, Wheaton Triangle in front of 2424 Reedie Dr., Wheaton MD.