Named a National Blue Ribbon School in 2009, Highland Elementary is in a residential section of Wheaton on Medway Street, easily accessible from Veirs Mill Road. Highland is a no-bus school, which means that all students live within walking distance.
Highland Elementary rewards positive behavior and focuses on differentiated small group instruction. Newly promoted from the assistant principal position, Principal Scott Steffan says he has seen a big increase in parental involvement over the past few years, a trend he hopes to continue.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:50am - 3:05pm; Sat, Sun, closed
- Founding Date: Sep 01 1950
- Number of students: 478
- Male-to-female ratio: 47:53
- Public/Private: Public
- Religious affiliation: None
- Accreditation/licenses: Maryland, Middle States Association
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 18-21:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 52
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The school has a family game night, focused on reading and math through the lens of playing games with 300-400 students.
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: Pre-K - 5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Cafeteria, Computer lab, Library